Read the Endorsement here: https://www.harriscountygop.com/may-7-election/
ENDORSEMENT BASED ON THE FOLLOWING PRINCIPLES:
The Texas GOP party platform: https://texasgop.org/platform/
The Texas GOP platform is the authoritative statement of our beliefs as pertains to local government:
1. Every level of local government should be as responsive as possible to the voters they represent.
2. Every local government should respect property rights by refusing to enact burdensome regulations and taxes.
3. Every local government should oppose all wasteful, unnecessary, or otherwise superfluous public expenditures.
4. Every local official should uphold a commitment to transparency and open governance.
5. Every local official should be committed to delivering high quality constituent service at all times.
6. Taxpayer money should not be used to defend illegal immigrants from the enforcement of our nation’s laws and immigration policies.
Small Cities and Special Purpose Districts:
1. All small cities and districts should have their meeting notices, agendas, and minutes posted electronically.
2. All elections should take place on the common ballot in the election run by the County. Local governments should not run their own elections.
3. Firms should not be eligible to bid for projects funded by a bond issue if they contributed to a campaign or PAC in the election that approved that bond.
4. Small cities should not contract for or participate in any lobbying or advocacy activities conducted by the Texas Municipal League, which represents the interests of governments and not of taxpayers. S
Local Law Enforcement:
1. We oppose any efforts to defund the police.
2. Law enforcement entities should cooperate with immigration enforcement authorities.
3. As our population grows, police departments should grow at a commensurate rate to ensure adequate coverage of all areas by law enforcement.
4. Local law enforcement should not conduct property seizure or asset forfeiture without a criminal conviction.
5. Law enforcement entities should not conduct no-knock raids unless they are intervening in a life-threatening emergency.
6. We support the continuance of the Contract Deputy Program partnerships between Constable offices and local neighborhoods and homeowners’ associations. Respectfully submitted as a report of the Local Government Committee.